Sunday, May 12, 2019

Baker Street

Situated in the Marylebone District, Baker Street is in the City of Westminster, London.  In 1755 Henry William Berkeley Portman began developing the London Portman Estates.  He began to issue the first building leases, one of which was granted to William Baker.

William Baker of Audrey was an architect, surveyor and builder who worked in Shropshire and the adjacent counties in the mid 18th century.  William Baker laid out what became known as Baker Street on the leased land in 1794.

Lying in the postcode of the areas NW1/W1 and forming part of the A41 there, Baker Street is a busy thoroughfare.  The Portman Estate dates back to the sixteenth century.  Sir William Portman, who served as Lord Justice to King Henry VIII, leased 270 acres of the Manor of Lileston (Lisson).  He acquired the freehold in 1554 however most of the land remained as farmland until the building boom, following the Seven Year War involving the Great Powers of Europe at the time in 1763.

Madame Tussaud opened her first wax work museum in 1835, a permanent exhibition on the upper story of the Baker Street Bazaar in 1835.  Prior to this Madame Tussaud had toured Great Britain with her works for thirty three years.

The Baker Street Bazaar exhibited a huge range of items for sale, including such goods as horses, carriages, stoves, furnishing and ironmongery.  The Bazaar was opened by Samuel Godley, who had fought in the Napoleonic Wars.  Though Bazaars were common, the Baker Street Bazaar had some unique elements. Firstly it had Madame Tussaud’s waxworks including her popular Chamber of Horrors.  The Baker Street Bazaar was also the home of London’s first artificial ice rink, the Glaciarium.  The artificial rink was built in 1844 and the ice was made up of churned hogs lard, sulphurs and sulphate of copper.  The Glaciarium was 3000ft wide. Later the same year that it was built, due to the terrible smell it was emitting, it was closed down. 

In 1940 the Baker Street Bazaar, by then known as Druce’s, named after Thomas Charles Druce, burnt down.  The co-owner of an upholstery business Thomas Charles Druce had been embroiled in a legal case that ran from 1897 - 1908.  An allegation was made by a widow named Anna Maria Druce, that her father-in- law, who had died,  was living a double life and was infact the 5th Duke of Portland.  The widow went onto claim that the Duke had faked the death of his alter ego in 1864 to return to just living his aristocratic life.  Anna Maria Druce petitioned to get Thomas Charles Druce’s grave  in Highgate Cemetery opened, claiming it was full of cement blocks.  During the court case, Anna Maria was put in an asylum and the case was taken over by George Hollamby Druce.  Eventually it was agreed that the grave should be opened.  Druce’s body was indeed in the coffin.

In 1835  James Fillan, a Scottish sculptor, artist and poet came to live on Baker Street.  Formally trained in Paris, Fillan had a short but influential career and finally settled in London at 82 Baker Street.  At the Regent Street end of Baker Street stands an illustrious mansion block known as Chiltern Court which was home to famed novelists Arnold Bennett and H.G Wells. 

221B Baker Street is the London address for the fictional detective Sherlock Holmes, created by author, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.  Originally a physician, Doyle published the first of the Sherlock Holmes and Watson detective novels in 1887.  At the time that the books were published Baker Street didn’t go as high as 221.  When street numbers were reallocated in the 1930s, the block of odd numbers from 215 - 229 were assigned to an art decor building known as Abbey House.  The building was constructed for the Abbey Road Building Society in 1932 and they occupied the building until 2002.  As soon as the building was opened they began to receive correspondence from Sherlock Holmes fans from all over the world.  The company was forced to hire a full-time secretary to deal with the huge volume of mail.  In 1990 a blue plaque was erected at the Sherlock Holmes Museum which was located between 237 and 241 Baker Street.  In 1999 Abbey National sponsored the creation of a bronze station of Sherlock Holmes that stands at the entrance to Baker Street Tube Station.  A fifteen year dispute then ensued between the Abbey National and the Holmes Museum for the right to receive mail addressed to 221B Baker Street.  Following the closure of Abbey House in 2005 the dispute over ownership was dropped.  

In 1940 the headquarters of the Special Operations Executive moved to offices at 64 Baker Street and they were colloquially known as the Baker Street Irregulars after Sherlock Holme’s gang of street urchins.  In 1941 two unexploded missiles were removed from the burnt wreckage of Druce’s.  by 1957 the site was redeveloped as Michael House, the UK headquarters of Marks and Spencers.  It was at this location until 2005.  The site now serves as part of the 55 Baker Street office complex.  

From 1967 - 68 the Beatles Apple Boutique was situated at 94 Baker Street.  In 1971 a significant bank robbery occurred at a branch of LLoyd’s Bank on Baker Street.  A plaque was placed at 120 Baker Street to mark the place that Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger lived from 1803-4. Welsh born,  eighteenth century English actress Sarah Siddons lived on Baker Street  In the 1960’s entertainer Dusty Springfield lived on Baker Street.  Singer Gerry Rafferty wrote a song titled Baker Street in 1978 and Jethro Tull wrote the song Baker Street Muse.  

With such a long and interesting history it is not in the least surprising that there have been allegations of paranormal phenomena in various places along  famous Baker Street. The ghost of the actress Sarah Siddons has apparently been seen passing through the walls on the first floor of an electrical sub-station that stands where her former home once was. Also along Baker Street is the old Kenwood House Hotel that allegedly has several ghosts.  A piece of furniture in the pub is said to have drawers that open and shut by themselves and a mirror researchers believe houses a poltergeist.  The hotel is also said to have a ghost that is a former cavalier and appears from time to time.  The Volunteer Pub on Baker Street is said to be haunted by a ghostly figure that lurks in the dark corners of the establishment.  The ghost is said to be that of Rupert Neville.  The pub was built where the Neville Mansion once stood.  The mansion burnt to the ground in 1654 but the original cellars remain under the pub.

 I would recommend a walk along Baker Street and a visit to the Sherlock Holmes Museum.  It’s a fascinating street with an amazing and interesting history.

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

St Michael’s Mount

One of forty three tidal islands that are accessible on foot from Britain’s mainland, St Michael’s Mount stands in Mounts Bay, Cornwall.  Originally known as "Karrek Loos yn koos" meaning 'hoar rock in woodland', St Michaels Mount was situated in a large woodland area.  The woodlands were flooded in around 1700BC. When the tide is low evidence of the old forest is visible. 

As early as the eighth or ninth century the site was a Monastery.  Edward the Confessor, one of the last Anglo Saxon Kings of England, gave the island to the Norman Abbey of Mont Saint Michel.  The island became a counterpart of the Mont Saint Michel Abbey in Normandy.  Encouraged by an indulgence granted by Pope Gregory, in the eleventh century, the island was a destination for pilgrims.  The Mount was captured in 1193 by Sir Henry de la Pomeroy on behalf on Prince John, the King of England from 1199 until his death in 1216.  The monastic buildings were built during the twelfth century.  

The original priory was destroyed by an earthquake before being rebuilt in the late fourteenth century.   St Michael’s Mount remained a priory of that abbey until the dissolution of alien houses.  This occurred due to the war with France led by Henry V, the second English monarch of the House of Lancaster.  After Henry V's death in 1422 the island was given to the Abbess and convent of Syon.  It was a Bridgettine Order, an order of the Augustinian Nuns, religious sisters and monks founded by Saint Bridget of Sweden in 1424.  

The 13th Earl of Oxford, John de Vere, a principal Lancastrian commander during the War of the Roses, seized the Mount in 1473.  He held the Mount for twenty three weeks against the troops of Edward IV loosing his stronghold in 1474.  In 1497 St Michael’s Mount was occupied by Perkin Warbeck.  This pretender to the throne claimed to be Richard of Shrewsbury, the second son of Edward IV, one of the princes supposedly killed in the tower.  
By 1549 the Governor of St Michael’s Mount was Sir Humphrey Arundell.  He was known for leading the Prayer Book Rebellion, a revolt against the introduction of the Book of Common Prayer, which presented the theology of the English Reformation.  

Queen Elizabeth I gave St Michael’s Mount to the Earl of Salisbury, Robert Cecil.  An English statesman, Cecil was known for directing the government during the transition from the Tudors to the Stuarts. Robert Cecil’s son sold the Mount to Sir Francis Bassett, a Sheriff and Vice Admiral of Cornwall.  During the English civil war, Bassett’s brother Arthur, held the Mount against the parliament until July 1646. 

In 1659 the Mount was sold to Colonel John St Aubyn, a colonel to the parliamentary army during the English Civil War.  His relatives remain seated at the Mount. Consisting of a a few small fisherman’s cottage and the monastic dwellings by the 18th century, improvements were made to the harbour in 1727.  These improvements resulted in St Michael’s Mount’s harbour flourishing.  

A large earthquake in Lisbon in 1755 resulted in a Tsunami striking the Cornwall coast.  There was great loss of lives and property.  
By 1811 the houses on the Mount numbered fifty five with four streets.  There was a Wesleyan Chapel, three public houses and three schools on the Mount.  The pier was extended in 1821 and the population reached 221 people.  With improvements being made in the harbour at nearby Penzance the population on the Mount declined.  This resulted in many of the existing houses being demolished.  During the Victorian era an underground funicular narrow gauge railway was constructed to take luggage to the island.  

In the late 19th Century the remains of an anchorite, a hermit that retires to isolation for religious reasons, were found in the domestic chapel on the Mount. 

A descendant  of John St Aubyn,  Francis Cecil St Aubyn, 3rd Baron St Levan, gave most of St Michael’s Mount to the National Trust in 1954.  The St Aubyn family have a 999 year contract to inhabit the castle and a licence to manage the public viewing of historical rooms.  The chapel at St Michael’s Mount still serves the Order of St John. Chapel Rock on the beach of the Mount is the site of a shrine dedicated to the Virgin Mary. 

On the hillside of St Michael’s Mount several houses have been built.  A spring provides water to the island. A set of eight terrace houses built in 1855, called Elizabeth Terrace also remain on the Mount.  The cemetary on St Michael’s Mount is the final resting place for residents and drowned sailors.  The Mount also has a stewards house, a barge house, two inns, changing rooms for bathers and a bowling green.  

The harbour has been renovated and is marked by small brass inlay footsteps of Queen Victoria whose Royal barge disembarked from the Mount.  King Edward VII’s footstep are commemorated on the bowling green and in 1967 the Royal Yacht Britannia visited the harbour.  The Mount has been featured in many films including Dracula, Johnny English and the Bond movie Never Say Never Again.  

Considering the long and at times tempestuous history of St Michael’s Mount it is little surprise that there has been recorded paranormal phenomena since as early as the 5th Century.  It is claimed that in the 5th Century the archangel Michael appeared to local fishermen.  A tale is also told about the island on which St Michael’s Mount sits being the home of a giant called Cormoran, who lived in a cave with the ill-gotten treasures he had taken from the locals he terrorised.  A young farmer’s son called Jack killed the giant by trapping him in a pit.  This story is tied to the legend of Jack the Giant Killer.  

The Mount is said to be haunted by a tall man.  He is thought to be the Anchorite whose body was unearthed during renovations of the chapel.  During the renovations a stone  doorway was discovered that led to a hermitage cell.  The cell contained the remains of a man 7ft 8inches tall.  Perhaps this is linked to the stories of a giant on the Mount. 

A previous tenant of the Mount, Lord St Levan claimed that a four poster bed, decorated with carvings of Spanish shipwrecks that had happened around the coast, made people uneasy.  A ghostly monk has been sighted on the Mount and a Lady in grey.  The Lady in grey is believed to be a former nanny of the St Aubyn family in the 1750s.  It is said that she got pregnant and when the father of her child rejected her she threw herself from the top of the castle.  

In the waters beyond the Mount it is said that some people hear the peel of church bells and the words “I will, I will....” coming from the depths of the sea.  The haunting is said to be the ghosts of Sarah Polgrain and her sailor lover Jack.  Polgrain reportedly poisoned her husband and moved in with her lover Jack.  The villagers were suspicious and Polgrain husband’s body was exhumed.  When it was established she had murdered him she was sentenced to hang.  From the scaffold she was reported to have asked Jack to marry her and he had replied  “I will, I will...”  Following her death Jack became tormented and confided to fellow sailors what he had said.  At midnight, female footsteps were heard on the deck of the ship and a terrified Jack was seen jumping into the water never to be seen again.  

What really impressed me about St Michaels Mount is the way that it rises majestically from the water like a place from a fairy tale.  

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

The Elizabethan House, Plymouth

Dating back to 1584, the Elizabethan House is situated in Plymouth, England.  Plymouth is on the coast of Devon, south west of Exeter and west-south-west of London.  The city is enclosed by the River Plym and the River Tamar.  The original harbour of Plymouth has the Barbican on its western and northern sides.  The Barbican, which is a fortified gate, was most likely named in honour of the gate that bid entry to Plymouth Castle. The medieval fortress guarded the Cattlewater, the stretch of water where the River Plym meets the waters of Plymouth Sound.  By the end of the sixteenth century the Plymouth Castle had fallen into disrepair and it was eventually demolished.

The area known as the Barbican in Plymouth was home to Plymouth's fish markets.  During medieval times Plymouth prospered, mostly due to the local fishermen, sea captains, merchants and privateers that used Plymouth as a home or base in their exploits.  Plymouth was the home port for many successful maritime traders.  These included Sir Francis Drake, who served as Mayor of Plymouth and famously finished his game of bowls on The Plymouth Hoe before defeating the incoming Spanish Armada.  Sir John Hawkins, who led England into the Atlantic Slave Trade, also operated from Plymouth Harbour.  Plymouth was becoming so prosperous that the then Mayor, John Sparke approved the development of a new street on the Barbican to help accommodate the growing population whose work and livelihood were based around the harbour.

Located  at 32 New Street, one of the houses built during that time was the Elizabethan House.  The original owner of the house is unknown but the first recorded resident was the borough Treasurer, Richard Brendan who lived in the property until 1631 when he sold it to a William Hele. During the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries the Elizabethan House had many different owners and occupants.  Most notable during this period of time was the London Company of Merchants, a company that were exploring and developing the fishing grounds of Newfoundland.

By the late ninteenth century New Street had become very overcrowded.  Slums and hovels replaced all the private owners and entrepreneurs.  by the 1850's up to 24 people were living in single dwellings and diseases such as smallpox, diphtheria and scarlet fever were rampant.

The planned demolition of the Elizabethan House in New Street was prevented and it opened as a museum in 1930.  Preserved as a Captains dwelling of the time, the Elizabethan House is decorated with several pieces of furniture from the seventeenth century.  The front parlor is adorned with oak furniture, some on loan from the Victoria and Albert Museum in London, including a table, chairs, a chest and side table.  Pieces from the museum's own collection include side tables, a writing desk and a bible box.  The original gardens were recreated with  plants such as lavender, sweet woodruff, and thyme, which were popular in the past to create beautiful and fragrant gardens.  Raised beds with seventeenth century fruits, herbs and vegetables also adorn the gardens.  The Elizabethan House is also decorated with an Inglenook fireplace, featuring pebble paving and a granite-edged hearth.  The museum also features original foods and wares in the kitchen area as well as lists of purchases recorded by a merchant of the time.

in recent years, Bristol based specialist architects, DHV,  have been given the task of readying the Elizabethan House to serve as an exhibition place and museum for Mayflower 400, a celebration of the sailing of the Mayflower to the colonies to be held in 2020.

Having such a long and interesting history, not to mention a plethora of owners and occupants, it is little wonder that there have been reports of paranormal phenomena in the Elizabethan House.  A cradle in the house is said to rock on its own, while some people have reported seeing a ghostly infant laying in the cradle.  Many passerby's have reported seeing the figure of a young girl looking out from one of the windows in the Elizabethan House, despite the house being empty at the time.

I love Plymouth and its is the sort of place that easily transports you back in time to when it was a busy port populated by all sorts of significant historical characters.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

The Rose and Crown Hotel

In 1839, Thomas Jecks had acquired Lot 42 from John Cooper who had received the land in 1830. The land consisted of 2.5 acres in Guildford, part of the newly formed Swan River Colony.  Cooper exchanged the land for a goat.  Jecks, who had arrived in the newly formed Swan River colony aboard the Gilmore in 1829, originally built a general store on the site.  With the Swan River Colony a little more than a decade old Jecks’ store, by the 1840s stocked and supplied the colonists with a wide variety of goods. These included food products like pork, cheese, sugar, tea, coffee, such things as gauze handkerchiefs, silks, cashmere through to bolts and building goods.

In 1841 Jecks decided to expand the store to include a licensed hotel.  The building was in a Georgian style, constructed from local hand made bricks laid in a Flemish bond.  This type of bricklaying is an arrangement of bricks where each course has alternate bricks with their short sides and long sides facing outwards, with each alternate course being offset. The building has a steeply pitched roof, that was constructed of indigenous and English hardwoods.  The roof was covered in wood shingles.  

Jecks continued to expand the hotel but on January 24th 1856 a large beam fell killing him.  Forty two year old Jecks left behind his wife, Elizabeth and thirteen children.  The hotel continued to run and by the 1860s the establishment was renting rooms for five shillings per meeting to travelling judges and groups wanting to hold public meetings.  Stables with Dutch gables were built behind the hotel in the 1880s.  In the 1890s a single story addition was built which made up the east wing of the hotel and originally comprised of a bar, restaurant and lodgings for travellers.  

In the 1970s the hotel had twenty eight motel rooms added and a museum which housed one of the best exhibitions of Western Australian antiques.  In the 1990s the hotel was known for its boutique brewery which produced Bullant Beer and ginger ale.  Renovations continued and now the hotel has been mostly restored to its former glory. 

Underneath the hotel is a large cellar which is thought to have been connected to the Swan River,  just 400m away, by a series of tunnels.  There is much conjecture about the need and use of such a tunnel.  Some believe that the tunnel was used to run contraband in the newly formed colony.  A deep well in the cellar led to suggestions that the proprietors may have been distilling illegal alcohol and using the tunnels to run it.  Whatever the reasons for the supposed tunnel and deep cellar it’s an interesting part of the building.

Being one of the oldest hotels in Australia and the oldest in Western Australia it should be no surprise that there have been reports of paranormal phenomena at the hotel.  There is supposedly a ghost by the name of Charlie who was a bullock driver that murdered his wife in the hotel when he caught he cheating.  Staff and patrons of the hotel have reported seeing figures in the cellar that have appeared to be wearing old fashioned clothes and then strangely disappear.  

The Rose and Crown is a fascinating place to spend some time and just contemplate the early settlement of Western Australia.  

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Château Ramezay

In 1705 Claude de Ramezay, the then Governer of Montreal acquired a large estate to build a home. An important figure in New France, de Ramezay commissioned architect and mason, Pierre Couturier to design and build his new home.  

The Chateau was built of field stone with three storeys, including a vaulted cellar and attic. Built on a large piece of land the Chateau was surrounded by a garden divided into three equal parts. The garden had an orchard, an ornamental garden and a kitchen garden.  The entire garden was surrounded by aromatic and medicinal herbs. A fountain was the centrepiece of the garden.  

Following the death of Claude de Ramezay in 1724 his widow leased the property to the government.  The house remained in the de Ramezay family until 1745 when it was purchased by Compagnie des Indes Occidentales, a French trading company.  Major expansions of the building were undertaken by the Compaigne des Indes Occidentales.

In 1775 the Chateau Ramezay was used by the Continental Army as its headquarters when it seized Montreal.  The Continental Army had been created to coordinate the military efforts of the thirteen colonies who were in a revolt against Great Britain.  While trying to raise troops to fight with the Americans in the American Revolution, Benjamin Franklin stayed at the Chateau in 1776. 

Following the British conquest of New France the Chateau Ramezay was again used as the Governor’s residence, this time for the British Governer.  In 1878 the building was used to house the Universite de Montreals first Faculty of Medicine.

By 1893 the Quebec Government no longer required the building and it was abandoned.  The Chateau Ramezay was rescued from demolition by The Antiquarian and Numismatic Society of Montreal.  By 1894 the Society had converted the Chateau into an historical museum and portrait gallery.  The Museum and gallery officially opened on May 1st 1895.  In 1895 Sir Andrew Taylor, architect and councillor, was commissioned to design alterations to the Chateau.  In 1902 to 1904 decorative turrets were added to the building.  

The Chateau Ramezay underwent further renovations inside and outside the building between 1997 and 2002, including restorations of the Governor’s Garden.  Today the Chateau houses over 30000 objects donated by private citizens of Montreal.  The collection includes manuscripts, printed materials, numismatic items, ethnological items, artworks, furniture and prints.  

Apart from also housing the first public library in Montreal, the Chateau was the first building to be classified as an historic monument in Montreal in 1929.  In 1949 the Chateau Ramezay was recognised as a National Historic Site of Canada and in 2003 it earned the National Award of Excellence from the Landscape Architects of Canada.  

The Château Ramezay has been the site of much paranormal phenomenon.  Visitors and staff at the Chateau have reported hearing whispers and unexplained footsteps.  Staff have found exhibits changed, books knocked from shelves and have smelt sulphur.  Some believe that the Château Ramezay is haunted by Anna O’Dowd, a live-in caretaker who died in the Château in 1985.

The Chateau Ramezay is a charming building and represents a portal to Montreal’s past. 

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Queen Elizabeth Hotel, Montreal

The Queen Elizabeth Hotel opened on April 15th 1958. Located at 900 Rene Levesque Blvd West in Downtown Montreal, it is connected to the central station and the underground. Built by the Canadian National Railway, leading architects and designers were chosen to give the hotel interior a “New France” theme.  The hotel has 1039 rooms with 21 floors.  The Queen Elizabeth Hotel is the largest hotel in the Quebec Province and the second largest in Canada after the Royal York in Toronto. 

Quebec handcrafts were chosen to decorate the hotel and many well known artists were employed to create the themed interior.  Albert Edward Cloutier, a Canadian painter and graphic designer, known for having a style of intensified realism with plastic forms in his work, was asked to create some original pieces for the hotel.  Cloutier contributed carved wood panels and painted a mural for the dining room of the Salle Bonaventure in the hotel.  French Canadian artist Jean Phillips Dallaire was commissioned to do wall hangings for the hotel.  Dallaire’s painting style was original and he was best know for festival scenes depicting macabre characters.  Ceramist and painter Claude Vermette created the ceramic tiles for the hotel and the bronze elevator doors were designed by Quebecois industrial engineer Julien Hèbert.
Marius Plamondon, Canadian stained glass artist and sculptor also contributed to the unique artwork in the hotel. 

When it came to naming the newly built hotel there was much controversy.  Quebec Nationalists wanted the hotel to be named Paul de Chomedey Maisonneuve. However the president of the Canadian National Railway insisted that the hotel be Queen Elizabeth,  who had unexpectedly come to the throne in 1952.  The Hotel was named Le Reine Elizabeth. 

The Canadian National Railway owned the hotel for many years while Hilton Hotels managed it.  The Canadian National Railway eventually sold their hotels to Canadian Pacific Hotels, which is now known as the Fairmont Hotels and Resorts. 

In 2016 the Queen Elizabeth Hotel was closed for renovations.  The hotel was reopened on July 10th 2017 boasting 950 rooms and suites, the restaurant Roselyn’s, an Urban Market, a night spot called Nacarats, Artisans, Krema and a spa.
The hotel has been the site of many historical events and hosted many famous people. The NHL draft was held in the hotel from 1963-1979. In 1970 the Quebec government moved its centre of operations into the Queen Elizabeth Hotel during the October Crisis.  Members of the Front de Liberation du Quebec kidnapped the provincial Cabinet Minister Pierre Laporte and the British Diplomat James Cross.  In response to this Primeminister Trudeau invoked the only peacetime use of the War Measures Act.  Laporte was murdered and ensuing negotiations saw the release of Cross and the exile of the kidnappers to Cuba.  

Many famous guests have stayed at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel including Queen Elizabeth, the Duke of Edinburgh, the Queen Mother and Prince Charles.  Fidel Castro, Princess Grace of Monaco, Charles de Gaulle, Nelson Mandela, the Dalai Lama, Indira Ghandi, Jimmy Carter, Perry Como, Henry Kissinger and Mikhail Baryshnikov. 

The famous Bed-In held by John Lennon and Yoko Ono on May 26th to June 2nd 1969 was in Room 1742 of the Queen Elizabeth Hotel.  The Bed-In was in protest to Lennon and Ono being refused entry into the US.  The song “Give Peace A Chance” was recorded in the room on June 1st 1969.

The Queen Elizabeth Hotel is said to be haunted by a woman in white who sometimes visits guests in their rooms. Many have reported they feel they are being watched, hearing unexplained voices and footsteps.  People have felt like they have been touched and have heard mysterious loud bangs and knocks.

This hotel has quite a history and it’s gorgeous and original local artwork is quite amazing.